Home Page Lo-Fi Wireframes v2

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:54:50 UTC 2019

On 19-Mar-19 3:38 AM, alex wrote:
> Thank you all for your great feedback and comments on the first
> version of the wireframes.
>
> After collecting all your insights and suggestions, I drafted a second
> version with a slightly more accurate content.
> Please, take your time to review it and point out changes, typos, or
> additions, by writing comments directly in Presentator.
>
> Once again, please focus on just the content and the message style,
> and try to completely ignore functionalities, styles, alignments, or
> anything visual. Those things will come later.
>
> Home Page v2:
> https://presentator.ura.design/en/4b9jmLIB?v=2&s=1&m=preview
>
> Cheers,

I do not know if it is relevant,  but I load the wire frame and I get
something that is probably 50% to large to display without a left right
scroll.

I would still like to see add-ons removed from the top menu and replaced
with a general info block pointing the use to the add-on manager, which
I am seeing as another page link lower in the wire frame.

Can we also get away from the grey on grey and black on grey which are
so difficult to read.  They look pretty,  but unless your monitor and
graphic is really u to snuff they are not a good choice to actually read.

We need to finally remove the lightning download from the web site.
Some Linux maintainers do not bundle it,  but that is not our problem.
WE do bundle it for all operating systems.  For Linux users that have
issues with their distributions copies should be addressing their issues
to the maintainers,  not having Thunderbird take the retrograde step to
folks,  but that is one of the reasons Linux is still niche.
Maintainers and other individuals is positions of power make appalling
decisions and everyone just works around them.  The download link needs
to be removed and we should be encouraging folk to click yes on the
first run install. Instead of catering to a small group of loud minority
product users by offering a totally useless download link  that will
start an install process in the hardest possible way that is to install
a product that more than 90% of users get with their install.   Many
users just have that install pane on the bottom of the windows basically
for ever,  they often appear in screen shots in support topics.  They
really have no idea what it is and ignore it as it does not prevent mail
activities.

Given the explosion of support request for folk already on the beta
channel about their "functions" that have been removed by uncaring
developers,  I think it is probably going to be a long haul until the
add-on environment supports the top 20 or 30% of add-ons.  WE need to
warn folk that those cuttong edges do in fact have blood on them and it
is not always plain sailing.  If it was it would be a release version.

I also think that if we have a prominent option for a page Language that
will actually change the locale,  then the other discussion about
systems and languages becomes moot.  Change the display language to
Macedonian and you get a Macedonian download offered.  From my scrolling
up and down and left and right,  it look to be currently way to the
bottom and out of view on page load.  It needs to be up the top where it
can be found as soon as the page loads in the wrong language.  A good
place might be the space left by the add-ons link in the menu.

This is as I understand is something of an issue for a lot of British
expats in Spain.  They want British English Thunderbird but get Spanish,
so there are multiple use cases where another language might be required.

Matt