Add-on review times at ATN

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Mon Mar 18 12:51:00 UTC 2019

On 18/03/2019 13:36, Onno Ekker wrote:
> As a reviewer I'm always hesitant about reviewing a cloned add-on that
> fixes compatibility issues. There's a pletora of add-ons in the queue
> like ...2, ...Improved, ......Continued, ...Updated,
> Some of the original add-ons have been updated, so the clone isn't
> needed anymore.
> In other cases the clone might be needed/ or useful, but it would be
> better if the new add-on author would have contacted the original one
> and see if he could also get access to the add-on on ATN.
> In this way, the add-on users don't have to go searching ATN for
> alternatives.
> I know there's been a recent discussion about this on Maildev with
> title "Addons no longer maintained.", but the outcome of that
> discussion was unclear to me.
> It would help me very much if we could find a solution for these
> add-ons, not only for the reviewers, but much more for the end-users.

Very good question.

I once managed to persuade the author of "LookOut Redux", the fourth
incarnation of "LookOut", to abandon his fork and join forces with the
third incarnation "LookOut (fix version)". For the record, abandoned
ones are "LookOut" and "LookOut+".

I'm all in favour of discouraging yet another clone.

Jörg.