Home Page Lo-Fi Wireframes: It's content time!

alex alessandro at thunderbird.net
Tue Mar 12 21:58:07 UTC 2019

Hello wonderful people,

Let's start moving forward with the refresh of the Thunderbird website!
I think we can all agree that the website looks outdated, not appealing,
and it doesn't properly communicate the massive work all the awesome
developers are doing to revamp Thunderbird, and the overall team growth.

An interesting conversation was happening in this GitHub issue,
<https://github.com/thundernest/thunderbird-website/issues/31> but as
properly pointed out by Andrei in his response
<https://github.com/thundernest/thunderbird-website/issues/31#issuecomment-470318760>,
we need to be careful, account for a lot of things, and not simply
refresh the design to "make it look pretty".

So, let's start this process!
First and foremost, we need to properly define 3 things:

  * A solid and well thought sitemap
  * The amount of written content we want in each page
  * The "type and style of communication" we want to use (Are we
    friendly? Are we quirky? Are we business -jargon oriented?)

Without having a solid understanding of the content, the message, and
the overall structure of the Thunderbird web presence, it wouldn't be
productive to start mocking UI screens, icons, colors, etc. That's why
we should all try to get rid of any visual bias and work on a bland
wireframe to keep the focus on what matters.

Linked at the end of this message you will find a public Presentator
board. There, you will see a really simple, and quite standard, home
page layout for a product presentation. I specifically left it anonymous
and unappealing in trying to remove any visual distraction.
You will find some "Floating Comments" which will show you some initial
thoughts I left explaining the "whys" behind some sections.

Please, try to completely ignore spacing, fonts, colors, alignments,
etc. All those things will come later, this part is unpolished on purpose.

I'd like to invite anyone to leave comments there in order to collect
ideas and expectations regarding the content. You can reply to my
comments or leave new ones anywhere on the image.

In conclusion, and I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself, let's write
down how we want to structure the content, which links we want in the
main nav, why we want those, why we don't want others, etc.
Every time we all agree on something and a section is defined, I will
update the prototype to slowly transition to a hi-fidelity wireframe.

Link: https://presentator.ura.design/en/4b9jmLIB?m=comments&v=0&s=1

Cheers,

--
Alessandro Castellani