Judging by the website, the project is nearly dead. That's not right...

Alessandro Castellani alessandro at thunderbird.net
Sun Mar 3 01:49:06 UTC 2019

Hi everyone, my name is Alex and I'm the new Lead UX Architect of
Thunderbird, I want to put an extra stress on the word "new" as I
literally started March 1st.

I agree with what Eyal wrote, and even if I'm still trying to get used
to the process here, and learn how to properly use mailing lists, I
wanted to give my 2 cents regarding the website.

My main goals are the following:

  * Improving the UX and UI of Thunderbird
  * Bringing UI and UX consistency to the Thunderbird website and blog.

During my first day, I did a quick review of the current status of the
website, the navigation, the usability aspect, and the various
inconsistencies, and everything you wrote is inline with my initial
conclusions.

Now, I don't know if there are any plans already defined, but I wrote
down a sort of half baked plan of action in order to get the ball
rolling and start fixing problems. Here's an approximate draft + roadmap:

 1. For the end of the next week (March 8th), I will have a series of
    low fidelity wireframes to identify a solid Infrastructure
    Architecture (IA) of the Thunderbird web presence, including website
    with all its necessary pages, and the blog.
 2. Design iterations to define a proper web style guide, with some
    initial work on a design system, will go on for the next 3 weeks,
    with the goal of producing a complete series of high fidelity design
    files.
 3. Once the design is approved,coding the new layout, starting from the
    front landing page, and continuing with a rolling release approach,
    page by page, section by section.

I'd suggest avoiding to tackle the entire update at once from a
development point of view and slowly updating sections and pages, in
order to split the work in smaller tasks, and keep using the momentum of
"weekly updates" to boost traffic and publicity.

As I said, non of this was defined or approved, and it's all based on my
previous years of experience in this field, but I think that a solid,
tight, and properly defined roadmap, is necessary to solve all the
issues your wrote int he original email.

Let's discuss,
Alex

P.S. I'm honored and excited to be part of this amazing group and I hope
to be able to always exceed your expectation and help make Thunderbird
the best email client out there.