Thunderbird in Microsoft Store

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Wed Jun 5 09:26:42 UTC 2019

On 30/05/2019 19:52, Eric Moore wrote:
> This raises a related question. Many Linux distro's have their own
> build of Thunderbird. While they have some modifications I don't
> consider them a port. They're just a distro specific build, and
> something you can expect to get support from at SUMO and MozilaZine
> despite not being released by Mozilla. What determines whether an
> email application can legally call itself Thunderbird?

I would suggest that the council discusses this with the Mozilla legal team.

There are various guidelines for the use of Mozilla's trademarks
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/>,
and there's also guidelines for the distribution of Firefox
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/>.
It is slightly unclear, but looking at the Firefox rules and if it was
myself doing the port, I'd probably ask for written permission or at
least double-check it wasn't necessary.

Hence, I think this should at least be checked/discussed with legal as
part of standard trademark checking.

Mark