Thunderbird in Microsoft Store

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 21:49:39 UTC 2019

On 04-Jun-19 3:33 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote on 03.06.19 17:42:
>> On 5/31/2019, 5:49:48 PM, Matt Harris <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> We are refusing to look at the mobile platforms,  so others are.  It
>>> should come as no surprise to anyone. Especially those that say
>>> Thunderbird must remain desktop bound in a world where an ever
>>> increasing percentage of internet activity is done from a mobile
>>> platform.
>> ? This has nothing to do with mobile. This is the Windows 10 store we
>> are talking about, that every Windows Desktop running Windows 8 and
>> higher (at least I think 8 and 8.1 still have access, but definitely 10)
>> has access to.
>

> The store matters, because Windows 10 S (school) versions can install
> apps only from the MS store. Luckily, that attempt failed, but there
> are still be machines with these restrictions.
>
> I understand that the Thunderbird core team probably has no time to
> take care of such builds.
>
> Independent of whether that particular author was well-intended or
> not, I think we should allow such re-distributions, from trusted parties.
>
> FWIW, the original URL https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/thunderbird
> is gone, I guess in reaction to a complaint from Mozilla and Microsoft
> triggering DMCA procedures.
I disagree,  but then I have been supporting a portable version for
years and know what a time waster it can be.  This is a port,  who is
supporting download and update failures?  Yep,  not the guy who wrote
the port.  Just like we find ourselves embroiled on Portable rubbish and
Linux builds that port and customise Lightning out of the build.  Some
consistency is what is required. Regardless of how well meaning these
builds are they are not in a state that can be supported by this
community.  There is a git hub repository
<https://github.com/jebeld17/Store-Ports_Thunderbird/tree/master/Input/Windows%20(AMD64)%20Non-Administrative%20Installation/Mozilla%20Thunderbird>.
But what was changed and what was not.  I don't know and to support
Thunderbird I should not need to.

If we have time for "flat pack" something that might be used by
significantly less than 10% of users.  We should have time for more
mainstream distribution methods such as the Microsoft store as some 80
or 90 of users could choose to download from that location.

Matt