Thunderbird in Microsoft Store

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Jun 3 18:03:48 UTC 2019

Tanstaafl wrote on 03.06.19 17:42:
> On 5/31/2019, 5:49:48 PM, Matt Harris <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We are refusing to look at the mobile platforms,  so others are.  It
>> should come as no surprise to anyone. Especially those that say
>> Thunderbird must remain desktop bound in a world where an ever
>> increasing percentage of internet activity is done from a mobile
>> platform.
> ? This has nothing to do with mobile. This is the Windows 10 store we
> are talking about, that every Windows Desktop running Windows 8 and
> higher (at least I think 8 and 8.1 still have access, but definitely 10)
> has access to.

The store matters, because Windows 10 S (school) versions can install
apps only from the MS store. Luckily, that attempt failed, but there are
still be machines with these restrictions.

I understand that the Thunderbird core team probably has no time to take
care of such builds.

Independent of whether that particular author was well-intended or not,
I think we should allow such re-distributions, from trusted parties.

FWIW, the original URL https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/thunderbird is
gone, I guess in reaction to a complaint from Mozilla and Microsoft
triggering DMCA procedures.

Ben