Import/Export functionality: TB68 support and future

Christopher Leidigh cleidigh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 04:24:16 UTC 2019

All:

I'd like to clarify a couple of things regarding the discussions around
Import and Export features:

- There is unanimous support for these type of features , more
specifically within Thunderbird core
- Many  features are currently supported through the extension
ImportExportTools by Paolo "Kaosmos".
- IET is a fantastic extension with over a half million users.  It is
clearly important part of the community.
- The Thunderbird team recognizes the importance of these features
provided by the extension to a large user base.
- Given the above, there have been many reach outs to the author both by
team members (including myself)
  as well as other extension developers attempting to understand the
developers position. On the author's
   website he stated he will not support beyond 60

- I would like to repeat: Multiple, persistent efforts have basically
gone unanswered.  This puts the Thunderbird team
  and frankly the community in an awkward spot.  We would prefer the
continuing involvement of the author but,
  from a particularly practical perspective we are not left with much
choice other than extending the GPL3 licensed
  code.  As a matter of importance we are also looking to codify
policies for dealing with similar things in the future.

- The current result is the following:
  - The team, after multiple discussions list/planning calls , has
decided to upgrade IET for TB68 as a  "TB team effort"
  - The decision was not made lightly as the obvious preference would be
for the original author to continue the work
  - We have set up a project to do this, Currently Jonathan K. and
myself will work towards this
  - While I have only done a little work on this, so far it looks like
my not be too bad
  - Ideally we will do the minimum to upgrade the full extension. We
will deprecate items if necessary
  - I posted it issue for discussion is far as priorities
  - The team expects that after 68 import/export functionality will
become native
  - The exact features going forward will be hashed out, all input welcome

  Andrei and Jorg, thanks for kicking that discussion off ! (I Fight
carious enjoyment's
[...]

decided to upgrade IET for TB60
  - The decision was not made lightly as the obvious preference would be
for the original author to continue the work
  - We have set up a project to do this, Currently Jonathan K. and
myself will work towards this
  - While I have only done a little work on this, so far it looks like
my not be too bad
  - Ideally we will do the minimum to upgrade the full extension. We
will deprecate items if necessary
  - I posted it issue for discussion is far as priorities
  - The team expects that after 68 import/export functionality will
become native
  - The exact features going forward will be hashed out

  Andrei and Jorg, thanks for kicking that discussion off !

  One important clarification.  The ThunderNest/import-export-tools
repository/issues
  is meant to be just for the Thunderbird 68 "upgrade" release, not the
functionality
  natively built-in than the future.  I just wanted to point that out to
not lose
  the important discussion in the wrong place.

  Perhaps we should make a repository or something to track the
discussions for the future?

  One important clarification.  The ThunderNest/import-export-tools
repository/issues
  is meant to be just for the Thunderbird 68 "upgrade" release, not the
functionality
  natively built-in than the future.  I just wanted to point that out to
not lose
  the important discussion in the wrong place.

  Perhaps we should make a repository or something to track the
discussions for the future?

Christopher