Theme Migration for Thunderbird 68

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Sat Jul 20 16:01:43 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-20 2:25 a.m., Onno Ekker wrote:

> I have a question about this, which holds for all extensions having a
> manifest.json.
>
> When you look at the documentation on MDN, you see that the key
> applications is replaced by browser_specific_settings:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/browser_specific_settings
>
> What is the preferred way to specify the id for Thunderbird? The old
> applications key that is not documented on MDN anymore, or the new
> browser_specific_settings, which looks weird since Thunderbird is not
> a browser…

ATN is not compatible with 'browser_specific_settings' since that was
added in Nov 2018 and we haven't updated that far yet. It should
eventually support it. So the answer is: use 'applications' as all our
documentation specifies, otherwise your add-on won't pass validation.

As far as I understand, this difference is for compatibility with other
browsers that use Web Extensions(the 'applications' key is Gecko-only),
and I haven't been able to find any plans to deprecate it, so this
shouldn't be an issue going forward.

CCed Geoff just in case he has a different opinion or knows more...