Why don't we just turn off MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE?

Walter L Schwartz WaltS48 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 6 01:52:15 UTC 2019

On 7/5/19 8:42 PM, Matt Harris wrote:
> On 05-Jul-19 12:59 PM, Geoff Lankow wrote:
>>
>> You, and a lot of others here are missing something: *downgrading to
>> version 60 is not being prevented* any more than it has been in
>> earlier versions. The warning message in question only applies to
>> downgrades from future versions that do not exist yet, to version 68
>> or later.
>>
> So downgrade from 68.1 to 68 will not cause an issue.  Is that correct?

It might be an issue.

When testing release candidate builds I would:

Install the new build.
Create a new profile using the -p switch.
Do the testing.
Change the channel-prefs.js as per the tester email instructions.
Start the previous version with the new test profile.
Do the update testing and all worked fine.

I was shown the warning when I tried starting 68.0b2 with the test
68.0b3 profile to test updating.
Starting 68.0b2 with -p --allow-downgrade allowed me to use the 68.0b3
profile and test updating.

I just double checked that with a release versions and some tests in my
test user account.
Starting the 68.0b2 release with the 68.0b3 profile gave me the warning.
Used -p --allow-downgrade to use the 68.0b3 profile with 68.0b2.
Checked Help > About Thunderbird and the update to 68.0b3 was downloading.
Restarted and now everything is fine.

I was able to use 68.0b3 with the test 68.0b2 profile.

Hope that helps a bit with understanding how this might work.