Why don't we just turn off MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE?

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 00:42:52 UTC 2019

On 05-Jul-19 12:59 PM, Geoff Lankow wrote:

> You, and a lot of others here are missing something: *downgrading to
> version 60 is not being prevented* any more than it has been in
> earlier versions. The warning message in question only applies to
> downgrades from future versions that do not exist yet, to version 68
> or later.

So downgrade from 68.1 to 68 will not cause an issue.  Is that correct?

> Future versions may very well irrevocably change things in a user's
> profile which will render it broken in current versions. We /should/
> really be talking about making sure a user knows this /before/
> upgrading, and can make an informed decision then.

I suggested we offer an opt out in the upgrade when we inform the user
their add-ons are not compatible.  It was made very clear to me that our
obligation is to force the upgrade.  So now we have an issue of
ideology.  Do we provide a helping hand and do what the user wants or do
we force upgrades because to not do so is contrary to their security?
Being mostly a support person I think we need to offer a path that helps
the user, not railroads them.

This will also basically end the suggestion that users try the beta to
determine if the issue is fixed in it for them. Or of the user using
Beta in production to get an early fix.  Reverting is a PITA.

> However, what's in front of us right now is a warning message that we
> have because it was added to Firefox, and this discussion is what to
> do about it.

We do everything we can to make the process painless and without the use
of the command line.  The command line is not even somthing most users
are even aware of.

Matt