Why don't we just turn off MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE?

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 5 11:55:51 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-04 at 14:03, John Bieling wrote:

> I really think TB should automatically backup a user profile, when
> it gets access by a higher major version number for the first time.
> So in the current situation, after the user updated to TB68.
>
> If the user later returns to TB60, he will get the error message
> about not being able to access his profile (as it was modified by
> TB68) and instead of suggesting to create a new profile, just allow
> him to switch to the backuped version of his TB60 profile.

Unless I've missed something in the course of Thunderbird development
over the last six months or so (I've been offline, my RAID array died
and it took me a while to get it recovered), this would not be a
suitable scenario for me.

I have Thunderbird configured to automatically connect to an IMAP
account, and filters configured to automatically snag nearly all
incoming mail from that account and drop it into various places under
Local Folders. (I never delete non-duplicate mail; even spam and
malicious mail is useful for training spam filters. Keeping it all on
the IMAP account, in addition to adding latency to accessing it and
making things so I couldn't access it without Internet access, would run
me out of my space allocation *very* quickly.)

Because Local Folders is stored as part of the Thunderbird profile, this
means that reverting to a backup of this profile would mean losing any
E-mail which has come in and been snagged/filtered into place since the
upgrade, which is unacceptable to me. (It also means that my profile is
ginormous; a quick check just now says it's currently taking up 15GB.
Backing it up before upgrade would be nontrivial.)

(This is also part of why I haven't upgraded Thunderbird at all in so
long; preserving the ability to safely downgrade requires not just
backing up the profile, but also disconnecting from the network, before
launching the upgraded version. This is so unwieldy that I tend to just
not bother. I do expect to go through the bother eventually, though, so
features introduced in newer versions - such as this one - are still
relevant to me.)

--
   The Wanderer