Why don't we just turn off MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE?

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 22:06:07 UTC 2019

On 05-Jul-19 3:54 AM, James Porter wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 12:30 AM Nomis101 🐝 <Nomis101 at web.de
> <mailto:Nomis101 at web.de>> wrote:
>
>     At least we should give the users a possibility
>     to switch MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE off by there own risk and
>     defenitely warn the user before launching the new version, that he
>     would not be able to downgrade afterwards.
>

> That's already there. Just pass --allow-downgrade when starting
> Thunderbird (or Firefox), and it'll perform the downgrade. I'm pretty
> sure once you do that, you'll be able to use the older version without
> passing the command-line flag (unless you upgrade again, of course). I
> think that's a pretty good compromise, since it keeps us from silently
> messing up people's profiles, but users still have a way out if they
> actually need to downgrade.
>
> - Jim
Just pass ---  Just explain that to the average user, that does not even
comprehend there is a command line that arguments can be passed on, or
that windows uses shortcuts.  Then repeat 500 times.  That is what I am
expecting in the next release.

Simply put,  a support disaster with "add-on XXX does not work and I
can't downgrade, how do I fix that bug?"

Matt