Why don't we just turn off MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE?

James Porter jporter at mozilla.com
Thu Jul 4 18:24:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 12:30 AM Nomis101 🐝 <Nomis101 at web.de> wrote:

> At least we should give the users a possibility
> to switch MOZ_BLOCK_PROFILE_DOWNGRADE off by there own risk and defenitely
> warn the user before launching the new version, that he
> would not be able to downgrade afterwards.

That's already there. Just pass --allow-downgrade when starting Thunderbird
(or Firefox), and it'll perform the downgrade. I'm pretty sure once you do
that, you'll be able to use the older version without passing the
command-line flag (unless you upgrade again, of course). I think that's a
pretty good compromise, since it keeps us from silently messing up people's
profiles, but users still have a way out if they actually need to downgrade.

- Jim