TB65 & legacy Addon Reminderfox -- EOL

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 12:57:10 UTC 2019

With a little help from
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_63, I've managed to
relatively easily make my add-on Mail Redirect available for Thunderbird
61+, by using the overlay loader.
This technique will probably make it into the next release version of
Thunderbird (Thunderbird 66? 67? 68?), and after that. I have high hopes
the WebExtensions (MailExtensions?) for Thunderbird have evolved and become
usable, documented and "easy" to make. By this time the whole add-on will
need a thorough rewrite, but then the add-on developers have a full cycle
to adopt.

The main thing that had to be changed for current Beta/Central, was the
overlays in chrome.manifest, since all the overlays have been removed from
Thunderbird, so instead of overlaying the overlay, I now have to overlay
the original window, e.g. messenger.xul or messageWindow.xul.By having both
an install.rdf and a manifest.json it is even possible to have it
compatible both for TB 60 ESR and lower and TB61+.

Onno