Thunderbird and OpenPGP - Autocrypt

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Mon Dec 9 10:32:23 UTC 2019

On 2019-12-08 19:10, holger krekel wrote:
> Beides, if you can hack the likes of Gmail, Proton Mail, Posteo or Riseup, and do
> very targeted MITM attacks against intelligently selected users, then you can probably
> much more easily directly hack the phone/device of your target and get everything,
> not just the cleartext of some mails.

You did hear about Snowden, right? ;)

Anyway, I do think we need to design it so that the e2e encryption is
secure even for the case where it would become the norm, and relevant
agencies/governments would actually be interested in breaking that
security. It's an unfortunate reality probably the majority in people
world live under circumstances where it would not be at all out of
question to have all the residents' traffic MITM attacked this way. The
"targeted MITM attacks" could simply be 100% of users in a region.

  -Magnus