Automatically fixing addons for new Thunderbird versions

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 00:04:12 UTC 2019

How hard would it be to script in a tool that will sniff out and flag
usage of deprecated interfaces?

The documentation over the past months has mostly been "this is
removed,  use this instead". I do not see this changing a lot in the
next release cycle and more XUL stuff disappears and more web API's
become available to replace them.  Having a script that could scan the
code and identify the items in that list of chenges. Perhaps even
anotate the code with developer links to comments would I guess make the
process of updating abandoned add-ons by adoptive authors more likely.
Not having any idea of the quantum of effort required is perhaps one of
the barriers to others adopting the abandoned.

But I am not an add-on author,  so I will leave the discussion to those
that have actual experience on the ground.  But I would like to see the
barriers to successfully getting an add-on off the ground to be
significantly lowered.  I look at VbScript and how simple it is to start
to extend Microsoft applications with simple interface stuff and then I
look to Mozilla and by extension Thunderbird.   One is designed to
encourage,  the other expects a high level of technical skills and
background.  Dabblers not welcome Is the sign on the door.

Matt