UI mock-up - Account Setup

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Apr 29 20:52:53 UTC 2019

On Mon Apr 29 2019 16:03:16 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Alessandro
Castellani <alessandro at thunderbird.net> wrote:
> Keep in mind, this is a macos only mock-up, used as a first step to
> identify a possible direction, pros and cons.
> Once we know what we want and we're all on board with the approach,
> screenshots and examples for Windows and Linux will be created.
>
> The first screen has 2 variations which can help us visualize in which
> direction we want to push TB. Should we keep presenting TB as an email
> client first, with extra features, or should we start transitioning
> towards a broader concept of a communication hub, by highlighting the
> other account types you can create and use with TB?
>
> I also created a dark variation based on macos, because I think it's
> time to have the light and dark mode seamlessly working out of the box
> and respecting the user's OS settings.

Honestly, they all look ok to me, but I'm not one of the people who
think the current TB looks horribly outdated either. What I do agree
with is what you said about relying on the underlying OS settings for as
much as possible when it comes to theming...

My question is about the 'Get a new Email Address' choice. I personally
have never used this, but the current single choice of a Gandi.net
address is kind of silly (does Thunderbird get some kind of kickback
from Gandi?). If you're going to do this, Thunderbird should have the
ability to assist users in getting a new email address with most of the
bigger free/public email providers.

I think it should be named 'I don't currently have an email address',
and clicking it could take them to a page that could assist users in