UI mock-up - Account Setup

Alessandro Castellani alessandro at thunderbird.net
Mon Apr 29 20:03:16 UTC 2019

Hello folks,

Let's kickoff the conversation regarding the email client itself.
We all know that TB needs love and polish in terms of UI and UX, and a
fresh coat of paint to make it feel as modern and stable as it actually is.

I'd like to start a bit of design work to tackle specific sections of
the application, proposing a new UI to standardize the look and feel
across platforms, without loosing the native feel we all care about.
This design work will also help us to identify paint points and road
blocks, giving us the chance to solve usability problems and improving
the overall user experience of the client.

I think we should start with what a new user sees when opening
Thunderbird for the first time. The Account Setup Dialog.

Here's a series of mock-ups to modernize the first on-boarding experience:
https://presentator.ura.design/en/XP9IsbuQ?v=0&s=1&m=preview

Using our brand identity colors, native photon icons, and styling a bit
more the input fields, we can increase readability and improve the
overall experience for a first time user.
Keep in mind, this is a macos only mock-up, used as a first step to
identify a possible direction, pros and cons.
Once we know what we want and we're all on board with the approach,
screenshots and examples for Windows and Linux will be created.

The first screen has 2 variations which can help us visualize in which
direction we want to push TB. Should we keep presenting TB as an email
client first, with extra features, or should we start transitioning
towards a broader concept of a communication hub, by highlighting the
other account types you can create and use with TB?

I also created a dark variation based on macos, because I think it's
time to have the light and dark mode seamlessly working out of the box
and respecting the user's OS settings.

Let's do this! 🤘

--
*Alessandro Castellani*