Some thoughts about "Fixing a bug" section on developer.thunderbird.net (DTN)

Alessandro Castellani alessandro at thunderbird.net
Tue Apr 16 16:52:04 UTC 2019

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your insightful message and consideration.

We will soon update the "Fixing a Bug" section to include bookmarks and
branches, which as you correctly pointed out, are easier and more
approachable methods for users that want to contribute and don't need to
deal with multiple patches at once.

The queues section was the first to be written since most of us are
working with queues and we feel comfortable with those.

I'm sorry for your issues and I hope that this little bump in the
process won't prevent you to continue contributing to Thunderbird
whenever you want.

We will get on this right away and improve the documentation for beginners.

Cheers,

On 2019-04-16 6:56 a.m., John Bieling wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am a beginner when it comes to working with hg, and while fixing my
> first ever TB bug, I spend most of the time actually getting a patch out
> of hg which I can upload to bugzilla.
>
> The "Fixing a bug section" on DTN
> (https://developer.thunderbird.net/contributing/fixing-a-bug) was a good
> start but as a beginner it was kind of difficult to start of with queues.
>
> If queues work, the concept is very nice but handling is somewhat
> dangerous, and sometimes "it just does not work" (as for me as discussed
> in IRC maildev yesterday).
>
> I was reading multiple sources on how to work with hg and most sources
> told me to NOT work with queues as a beginner:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Mercurial/Queues
>
> Also Philipp Kewisch suggested this to me.
>
> As a beginner, getting used to hg I learned the following:
>  - bookmarks can be used very easy to create a new head and work
> similar to git branches
>  - hg branches differ from git branches and beginners should not use that
>  - hg refresh also allows to "update" a changeset/patch
>  - hg wip is awesome to visualize "where you are at"
>
> If you do not need to manage multiple patches at the same time and do
> not want to have the option to apply/unapply them individually, you do
> not need queues. With bookmarks, you can jump between different patches,
> that was enough for my simple "fix something in thunderbird" task.
>
> What are your thoughts?
>
> John

*Alessandro Castellani*
Lead UX Architect