Rebranding Tunderbird to Firefox Mail

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Sat Apr 13 19:34:06 UTC 2019

Hi Eyal,

Answers to the points you've raised inline.

On 4/12/2019 1:30 PM, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
> With due respect, you seem to be "begging the question" [1] - making
> arguments for moving towards writing a mobile phone app based on the
> assumption that this will actually happen / is already happening. Here
> are several examples from your latest email:
No I am not "begging the question" or making an argument based on the
assumption that this will actually happen or is already happening. I'm
making an argument that I think we should consider making a mobile app
and identifying how and why we should do so.
> On 12/04/2019 20:31, Ryan Sipes wrote:
>> we should find identifiable places where work can be done on
>> current Thunderbird that will be reusable in the event that we begin
>> writing a mobile app in the future.
> No, we don't need to do that - and those of us in paid capacity should
> avoid spending time on doing that, since there is no decision to move
> towards writing mobile phone mail app.

I may be paid by Thunderbird to do a job, but I can still express myself
freely and what I would like to see the project do. I have yet to spend
any time writing a mobile app or optimizing Thunderbird for such a thing
- but I dislike you bringing that into this discussion, implying I
shouldn't have the freedom to think about it because I happen to get
paid to work on Thunderbird. I would argue that not thinking about how
to give more users a chance to use Thunderbird would be an abdication of
my duties.

>> Also, in regards to other parts of this conversation - I think that it
>> is important that we address mobile platforms because they appear to be
>> becoming more desktop-ish as time goes on. For instance, the Google
>> Slate tablet is also a laptop and runs both Chrome OS apps and Android
>> apps. I think those users would fall into the group who might be
>> interested in Thunderbird.
> To the extent that tablets become desktop-like, they will have
> desktop-like operating systems which will run desktop applications like
> Thunderbird with limited porting efforts. While this is not the case,
> tablets are mobile-phone-like, so it is not important to target them
> unless we've decided to write a mobile phone app.
I'm just pointing out that the lines are blurring on what is a tablet
and what is a laptop (i.e. desktop). If this is based solely on
operating system then that's a reasonable place to draw the line. But I
think we should always be considering how we can support more platforms
and not just silo ourselves and say: Windows, Mac OS, and most desktop
Linux distributions are the only platforms we should consider supporting
because they use a keyboard and mouse.
>> Finally, we should look at addressing Android in some way because it is
>> the most widely used consumer operating system in the world.
> Android is one of the least used operating systems in the world - on
> desktop and laptop computers. Only if you assume we are writing a mobile
> phone app is that a valid statistic.

Once again, I am putting forth that I would like a mobile app and why I
think we should consider taking the steps to make that possible. It is a
valid statistic based on what I am proposing. What would make me sad is
a scenario where computing trends change and we live in a world where
most people can't install Thunderbird on their computing devices of choice.

Anyway, I've said my peace on this thread. If there isn't any interest
in this direction then an effort won't manifest and it won't matter. I
was just sharing my personal thoughts.

Ryan