Chat, mobile app, browser engines/applications

Christopher Leidigh cleidigh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 20:08:01 UTC 2019

I thought I would throw in my two cents here since I use and have
an interest in Thunderbird/messaging which I have set up for a business.

- Note: my personal paradigm is not typical given my disability
accessibility
and ease-of-use are very important (for me personally)
- The above also implies using fewer, not more applications (regardless of
type)
- For both myself and my wife's business we use the built-in XMPP chat with
jabber.  Separately we use CounterPath Bria 5 for VOIP/SIP/SMS
- While I don't love having that as a separate application, I also do not
want to use the web
- Personal opinion:  not a fan of proprietary chat protocols (Skype,Google
hangouts , WhatsApp )
- Reality: especially in the personal area, lots of people will be using
different protocols
- I am in agreement with maintaining, if not improving messaging as well as
VOIP\WebRTC\SIP
- in the process of trying to put together my system (again focused on
accessibility)
- I was not impressed with any open-source clients - no offense to anyone
- I agree with the opinion that e-mail combined with messaging is not
uncommon
- While there is little to no overlap in the protocols (excluding
significant security protocol overlap),
  there is one huge overlap - the users address book - and this is been one
of my big problems
  everything has their own directories which is a big pain in the ass,
one-way sync is little better
- I believe we should have the infrastructure, especially the security
protocols (needed anyway)
  If we include WebRTC that would be a bonus and allow add-on developers to
do all sorts of things
  Even if we have something built-in beyond XMPP/IRC

>From a bit of a business perspective, one could imagine a partnership with
someone like Twilio,
the VOIP/SIP/SMS cloud service.  I use them and have also written several
applications against their interface
that would provide a number of interesting things, including possibly
revenue.  These services/new protocols
are becoming quite popular.  personally I would love to have this, and
would do an add-on with support.

If I had extensions for some of the other chap protocols within
Thunderbird, I actually might use them
and then things would be well combined.

Re: Thunderbird as a mobile app:

I tend to lean towards the opinion that there is much to do with desktop
app before burning energy
and dollars on a mobile app.  Going there is just going up against a ton of
competition.
Thunderbird as a dedicated, mail desktop application  is a more unique
space to operate in.
I do not have any problem with a desktop app designed around "web
technologies and protocols", that definition
does not make it a browser, even if we have lightweight browsing capability.

Related, but I have been working on Visual Studio code for two years as a
user and contributor.
initially I was very dubious of both Electron and a HTML rendering engine (
chromium).  I have to say
I have been very impressed with both the project and the resulting
application.  This paradigm
does have some advantage of independence that we currently do not have with
Geko, ultimately
we should be able to accomplish essentially the same thing.  Proof of this
is the fact that
despite code editors being close to religion for developers, VSC has
rocketed to the top
if the user list according to stack overflow...
I point out the above because there has been so much discussion about
browser cores.
I made the distinction in who  is driving the show : is it Thunderbird using
a form of "browser framework", or is Thunderbird operating underneath a
parent application.

First option okay, second we become just an add-on at the whims of our
parent.

IMHO...

Christopher