Future of Inastant Messaging: Make instant messaging separate from Thunderbird

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Fri Apr 12 18:17:28 UTC 2019

Hey Amir,

There is a lot here - but I will try to add my thoughts.

Firstly, I use IRC within Thunderbird and find it nice to be able to
search my email and chat all in one place. But I know I'm likely the
exception here and not the rule. However, I have heard a few folks in
enterprise set their employees up with Thunderbird and use it for email
and XMPP (for internal chat).

But I do have ideas for how chat in Thunderbird might look going
forward. I've spoken to some of the devs about this to gauge feasibility
- but never really shared my thoughts publicly with the community. So
here goes:

I think that we should create a feature called *Thunderbird Teams* that
uses the Matrix protocol and our current chat paradigm that you see with
IRC - but makes it easy to spin up channels and invite others to join
your channel using Thunderbird. I'd even like to work out a deal with
Modular.im where you could spin up your own private instance and invite
others to join too (for those who want to own the server). And I'd like
to have this all be possible to set up from within Thunderbird.

Why do I think this is a good way forward?

 1. *Slack-like paradigm using open protocols in Thunderbird* - people
    are so accustomed to persistent chat but many people are using
    closed, proprietary applications to collaborate with their teams. We
    could offer an alternative.
 2. *Integration with calendar and email *- Thunderbird Teams could be
    well-integrated with built-in email and calendar. For instance,
    imagine sharing an event invite or an email within the chat
    seamlessly with a couple of clicks.
 3. *Versatility *- Matrix supports one-on-one chat as well as channels
    and allows for sharing media easily. This seems like a natural next
    step for chat in Thunderbird and will cover many use cases.

Finally, we almost have a working implementation from a couple years
ago. With some work we could have an up-to-date Matrix implementation
and then build a nice, straightforward experience on top of that.

To sum all this up, I disagree - I don't think we should be running away
from instant messaging in Thunderbird. I think we should be focusing on
an implementation that best serves our users and improves Thunderbird in
a meaningful way.

Thoughts?

Ryan Sipes
Community Manager