Rebranding Tunderbird to Firefox Mail

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Fri Apr 12 10:51:47 UTC 2019

On 12/04/2019 2:04, Matt Harris wrote:
>  I am a proponent of a mobile
> Thunderbird,  and not because I want to use it.  For the vocal
> naysayers,  it is the future.  Either we go there and grow or stay
> desktop only and struggle.

That is a false dichotomy, IMHO. It is meaningless/useless for us to
"grow" a mobile phone app, when such an app is not Thunderbird; and it
is not why many (most?) of us have any interest in Thunderbird.

If anything, the dichotomy is: Either we focus on Thunderbird as a
highly-capable and up-to-date desktop application, and quite possibly
struggle, or we go do some mobile email app thing and give up on
Thunderbird.

> This, I think, is the reality that MoCo has
> accepted with the Firefox browsers that do not use Geko for IOS and Android.

Must I really say it again? I'm sounding like a broken record here.

* A mail client is not a web browser.
* A mail client is not a web browser extension, webapp etc - and should
not be. And would be quite stunted by restricting itself to be that.
* The set of mail client users does not have the same characteristic as
the set of web browser users.
* Desktop applications should not generally be adapted so as to double
as mobile applications.

> I personally have little or no use for a mobile Thunderbird, but I am
> not a typical user.

Maybe, but our typical users also have little use for a mobile
Thunderbird. At least - I don't know that the opposite is true. On the
other hand, we know that our users - and our selves - have use for a
capable desktop mail client, and that's what are supposed to be working on.

Eyal