Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Wed Apr 10 06:38:28 UTC 2019

On 08-04-2019 16:29, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On Sat Apr 06 2019 16:53:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Magnus
> Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:
>> The aim is to move towards more normal pure JavaScript and less reliance
>> on XPCOM
> I seem to recall a discussion about this some time ago, and one point
> that was brought up was that for many (most?) things, JS was simply too
> slow to be a good option?

I think that depends a lot on which things you intend to do, and how you
do it. What we can say is that we need to take care so that we identify
the bottlenecks and optimize them appropriately. I'll point out in this
discussion that the pure JavaScript model is also faster since crossing
the XPCOM boundaries is comparatively very, very slow.

  -Magnus