Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Apr 8 12:55:34 UTC 2019

On Fri Apr 05 2019 21:25:48 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Matt
Harris <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com> wrote:
> An android version would be something I think we should look at before
> we go down a path of a browser app,  perhaps leverage some of the work
> done in the Firefox OS mail app. Before we are shamed out of the market
> with poor ports.

Disagree.

Thunderbird is a Desktop application. It can never be a mobile app.
Sure, you can build something new and call it Thunderbird Mobile, but it
will not be Thunderbird.

I think focus should be simply on rewriting in a modular fashion as many
of the components as possible, starting with the more problematic ones
(UI architecture so we can finally fix Vertical View and do away with
the problem of one process (ie the Calendar) completely blocking the UI
making it look like TB is locked up/frozen, Address Book, Composer, etc).

I would also say, during this process, focus should be on moving away
from dependence on the Mozilla platform completely, with an end goal of
not being reliant on the Mozilla Platform at all.