Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Apr 6 20:53:30 UTC 2019

Let me clarify my view a bit. I'd like Thunderbird to get into the state
that most things /could/ run as a web application. There is an emphasis
on could, and no need to worry the desktop version would be discontinued.

The aim is to move towards more normal pure JavaScript and less reliance
on XPCOM. Let's see how far we can take that. What you get is less
reliance on internal interfaces that will keep changing. Way easier to
find people to work on the code, so more contributors. Tools. Easier
debugging. Possibility of library reuse, and with this the possibility
of outside collaboration. Maybe a version you could run as a webmail
interface, maybe in mobile - at least for partial functionality.

What I want is that we could focus mostly on the mail specific features,
and make them great. We don't want to have to think more than necessary
about the platform. To do that it appears logical to go with the flow
for the rest of the underlying platform. That platform is all about
making winning web technology.

  -Magnus