Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 01:25:48 UTC 2019

An android version would be something I think we should look at before
we go down a path of a browser app,  perhaps leverage some of the work
done in the Firefox OS mail app. Before we are shamed out of the market
with poor ports.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidports.thunderbird

Matt

Renaming the thread.

> Can you elaborate on this?
>
> I for one do not want a browser based app.
You are already using a browser based app, built on the Mozilla platform
(i.e. Firefox).

But I understand your concerns (I don't like Electron apps anymore than
the next guy). I'll let Magnus share what this future might look like.
But when running for Council he said:

> My vision for Thunderbird is that we'd eventually (a few years) get to
> the state that it could be run as a super fat, privileged web app with
> good system integration - this way we can best leverage the Mozilla
> platform we're bound to. In parallel we should get much better with
> utilizing the data contained in mails, to help users be more
> productive and make them look good doing so. Developing the overall
> product concept is also important.
So that is one potential path forward, but there has been no agreement
on this - I was just laying out one option that has been raised that was
relevant to the discussion in that other thread. Magnus also uses the
word /"could" /which I think should be considered in this discussion.
Having it possible to run Thunderbird in a browser doesn't mean that is
the only way that it could be run.
Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>