Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Fri Apr 5 22:48:48 UTC 2019

Eyal,

I'm not a proponent of this direction, I just thought I would address
what Disaster raised with relevant information about a proposed direction.

> And I have to say that I get extremely frustrated when decisions are
> surreptitiously made by tweaking the definition of the current state of
> affairs.

No decision has been made, and in making a decision I think that would
have to be one made by the larger community of contributors - not just
the Council or any other person/body.

But, I'm also not tweaking the definition. I'm just saying that we build
upon a browser, so utilizing the perks we get from that or producing
work that takes best advantage of that is not necessarily a bad thing.

> don't want to be at the mercy of whoever directs a browser's
> development.

I mean, we already are at the mercy of whoever directs the browser's
development with our reliance on the Firefox codebase (think about our
current add-on situation). But your point is well taken and I think you
represent a reasonable amount of people in our community with your opinion.

We should be discussing what avenues we can take going forward to reach
users who we currently aren't able to get to, for instance Chromebooks.
But that doesn't mean we need to become a web app.

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>