Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Eyal Rozenberg eyalroz at technion.ac.il
Fri Apr 5 22:01:41 UTC 2019

On 05/04/2019 20:40, Ryan Sipes wrote:
> We are headed towards a Thunderbird that could be run in a browser

I very much hope we are heading to no such place. Just like
DisasterMaster said: I for one do not want a browser-based mail client.

> As we get closer to that we could approach MoCo
> and the Firefox team and see where we can work together.

Please don't do that. I mean, don't try to "work together" on making
Thunderbird some sort of a souped-up browser add-on.

> You are already using a browser based app, built on the Mozilla platform
> (i.e. Firefox).

No, Thunderbird is not a browser-based app; Thunderbird and Firefox are
apps heavily utilizing browser-like layout and user interaction
functionality.

And I have to say that I get extremely frustrated when decisions are
surreptitiously made by tweaking the definition of the current state of
affairs.

> But I understand your concerns (I don't like Electron apps anymore than
> the next guy).

It's not about Electron AFAIAC. I (we?) want to have a mail & messaging
application which becomes _stronger_ in its non-browser capabilities,
not _weaker_. Don't want to go through a browser (as opposed to a
content layout library); don't want to be constrained by what a browser
offers; don't want to be at the mercy of whoever directs a browser's
development.