Discussion about Web App Thunderbird

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Fri Apr 5 17:59:32 UTC 2019

Renaming the thread.

> Can you elaborate on this?
>
> I for one do not want a browser based app.
You are already using a browser based app, built on the Mozilla platform
(i.e. Firefox).

But I understand your concerns (I don't like Electron apps anymore than
the next guy). I'll let Magnus share what this future might look like.
But when running for Council he said:

> My vision for Thunderbird is that we'd eventually (a few years) get to
> the state that it could be run as a super fat, privileged web app with
> good system integration - this way we can best leverage the Mozilla
> platform we're bound to. In parallel we should get much better with
> utilizing the data contained in mails, to help users be more
> productive and make them look good doing so. Developing the overall
> product concept is also important.
So that is one potential path forward, but there has been no agreement
on this - I was just laying out one option that has been raised that was
relevant to the discussion in that other thread. Magnus also uses the
word /"could" /which I think should be considered in this discussion.
Having it possible to run Thunderbird in a browser doesn't mean that is
the only way that it could be run.

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>