Rebranding Tunderbird to Firefox Mail

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Fri Apr 5 17:40:42 UTC 2019

Well, I let this one through on accident. But I'll explain why I won't
be letting the others through.

I think the idea is a neat one and I agree that Firefox has great brand
recognition compared the Thunderbird (and even Mozilla). But, this
simply isn't possible given our current relationship to Firefox's
driver, the Mozilla Corporation (MoCo).

Perhaps that will change in the future, and we're having some
conversations about our relationship to all parts of Mozilla - but what
you are describing would require full buy-in from MoCo and, at present,
I don't see that happening.

We are headed towards a Thunderbird that could be run in a browser (or
at least that is one vision for the future that Magnus talked about in
his run for Council). As we get closer to that we could approach MoCo
and the Firefox team and see where we can work together.

But, I think time is better spent thinking about how we can leverage the
Thunderbird brand to do really cool stuff that people want to use.

Ryan Sipes
Community and Business Development Manager
Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net>