State of Thunderbird Extensions

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Thu Apr 4 11:38:02 UTC 2019

On 04-04-2019 14:00, Matt Harris wrote:
> On 02-Apr-19 9:37 PM, u wrote:
>>
>> Your data only accounts for people installing Addons via
>> addons.thunderbird.org, is that correct?
>>
>> Users on Debian based operating systems generally install addons from
>> distro-repositories,
>
> /That is a state of affairs that needs to be actively discouraged.
> The version of Thunderbird being offered in some distributions are
> little more than forks with whole panels of settings removed.  Can not
> tell a ubuntu user to check the install history in Edit > Preferences
> > Update as that panel is just not there for them.
> /

That is for a (good) reason. Application update is handled through the
distro repository. Therefore updating from the preferences is irrelevant
to them. I don't think that's a fork, it's a supported build time
configuration option.

> /I am to the point of not offering support to users of certain
> distributions because I am unfamiliar with the product they are
> using.  With maintainers modifying code,  the user interface and not
> offering bundled add-ons it is to the point unless you are using the
> actual distribution and version you can not do more than guess what
> the product even looks like.
> /

I'm in contact with the Ubuntu maintainers about this one, so I'm
hopeful we can get it sorted out. Sounds like there was no real
intention for not offering bundled add-ons, just some technical hurdles.

  -Magnus