New Home Page design

Alessandro Castellani alessandro at thunderbird.net
Wed Apr 3 22:47:58 UTC 2019

It's related to removing clutter and avoiding confusion for the average
user.

A regular user which is not a developer or even knows about version
numbers, can get confused by a button stating "Download v60.5.1a"
compared to a simple "Download".

The question of "which version am I downloading" is redundant as it's
commonly known that the version downloaded from the official website is
always the latest and most stable release.

Wanting to know the current version is an edge case solved by the
"What's new" button, allowing curious users to check the changelog and
older versions.

Cheers,

On 2019-04-03 3:40 p.m., Nomis101 🐝 wrote:
> Looks nice! If I download Thunderbird, I'm always confused about which
> version will be downloaded if I click the download button. This only can
> be seen after Thunderbird is downloaded. I know, this is the same for
> Firefox, so it seems to me there is a general mozilla UX guide line of
> not showing the version number on the download page. But for me, this is
> very confusing. Whats the reason for nowhere showing the version number?
>

> Am 03.04.19 um 23:58 schrieb Alessandro Castellani:
>> Hello wonderful people,
>>
>> Thanks to all the feedback, suggestions, and insights you provided, we
>> gathered all the proper information in order to build a solid first page
>> with a great user flow and meaningful funnels.
>> Now it's time to raise the bar and deal with the actual design.
>>
>> https://presentator.ura.design/en/4b9jmLIB?v=4&s=1&m=preview
>>
>> As usual, comments and feedback are welcome, but this time let's try to
>> focus on readability, visual style and consistency, and be sure the page
>> is on brand.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> *Alessandro Castellani*