New Home Page design

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Wed Apr 3 22:46:12 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-03 3:40 p.m., Nomis101 🐝 wrote:
> Looks nice! If I download Thunderbird, I'm always confused about which
> version will be downloaded if I click the download button. This only can
> be seen after Thunderbird is downloaded. I know, this is the same for
> Firefox, so it seems to me there is a general mozilla UX guide line of
> not showing the version number on the download page. But for me, this is
> very confusing. Whats the reason for nowhere showing the version number?

It's because version number is intentionally something that users are
supposed to ignore. The only meaningful differentiation is
release/beta/daily channels. If you download from the front page you're
always downloading release, so there's no confusion.

In general being on any version other than the latest version for a
channel is not just heavily discouraged but unsupported and actively
prevented in the latest versions.