State of Thunderbird Extensions

Eric Moore emoore at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 1 20:36:22 UTC 2019

On 4/1/2019 2:16 PM, tb-planning-request at mozilla.org wrote:
> From: Andrei Hajdukewycz<sancus at thunderbird.net>
> In general the browser-based install workflow is so awkward and
> underused that spending a lot of time on it makes no sense to me. If it
> was simple to just disable it I think that would be even better than
> trying to fix it. People should install add-ons via Thunderbird.

Being able to install add-ons using a browser is a valuable workaround.
For a long time the search for add-ons within Thunderbird would miss
many add-ons. That's working right now, but could easily break again. It
can also be much easier to search for an add-on using a browser due to
back buttons etc.

Being able to install add-ons that were downloaded via a browser lets
somebody get updates for broken add-ons that are only available on
github etc. There are also some popular add-ons that were never
submitted to thunderbird.net. For example, many of the add-ons at
https://freeshell.de/~kaosmos/index-en.html . I assume some companies
have developed some add-ons just for their own employees use.