State of Thunderbird Extensions

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Mon Apr 1 16:43:33 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-01 5:02 a.m., Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 01 Apr 2019 13:34, Axel Grude wrote:
>> I wonder if there should be two download buttons for extensions <=60
>> and >60 because it is currently impossible to create an Add-on that
>> satisfies both requirements, and the majority of current Add-on users
>> are on Tb 60:
>
> Great mock-up. Yes, that would be ideal, but most likely not easy to
> do. We should somehow revive the "beta capability", I would feature
> the release version on the left and the beta version on the right.
Major modifications to the ATN UI are not going to happen any time soon,
especially not ones that involve strings, since we can't localize those
right now. I believe Geoff is working on a patch so that the site will
assume the browsing user is on the latest release version of
Thunderbird. That's about as good as it's going to get.

In general the browser-based install workflow is so awkward and
underused that spending a lot of time on it makes no sense to me. If it
was simple to just disable it I think that would be even better than
trying to fix it. People should install add-ons via Thunderbird. Either
that or fix Thunderbird to register a custom url protocol so that it
could actually be linked directly to install add-ons on click. But I
assume there's some reason that has never been done over the years.