State of Thunderbird Extensions

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Mon Apr 1 07:38:18 UTC 2019

On 2019-04-01 12:10 a.m., Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> this is very interesting and also a very nice presentation.
>
> Can someone answer the following: How is it possible that add-ons not
> even compatible with TB 52 still have up to 25 thousand users, like
> "DOM Inspector", "Lookout"? There are more with 5K to 13K users:
> "JavaScript Debugger", "MinimizeToTray revived", "FireTray",
> "AttachmentExtractor", "Color Folders", "Remove Duplicate Messages".
In general, I have no idea, and there isn't one answer for all of these,
it's all kinds of stuff. A user means someone has the add-on in either
SeaMonkey or Thunderbird with the status "UserEnabled", not
"UserEnabled, incompatible" or "UserDisabled". In the case of DOM
Inspector, most users are SeaMonkey users. In some of the other cases
you would need to dig into the total number of users on really old
versions via the stats panel CSV/JSON dumps.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/minimizetotray-revived/statistics/usage/status/

Also, I believe you can turn off compatibility checking and just run
broken add-ons. So it's entirely possible that some minority of
users(keep in mind 5000 daily pings out of 10 million is a miniscule
proportion) or organizations have enabled this and are reporting
incompatible add-ons as enabled.