Extension development for beta

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 13:37:56 UTC 2018

Hi Tony,
This is a different setting and has a different meaning. Here the add-on
developer can mark his extension as experimental or otherwise not ready for
general use.
There used to be a separate Development Channel, where add-on developers
could upload alpha and beta versions and release candidates, or versions
containing a*, b*, or rc* were added automatically to the development
channel.
Add-on users would need to log in to amo in order to install such add-ons.
This way, add-on developers could offer their add-on to a few brave users
who could test drive the new version and the add-on developer could still
make quick changes, because the development versions didn't need a review.
When the developer was satisfied that the add-on worked, he could draft a
real release and submit it. After the official release was reviewed, it
would become available for all add-on users and the people using the
development version would automatically be updated to the release version
(if they had setup Thunderbird to automatically update add-ons).
All in all quite a useful function!
Onno