Will dedicated profiles be picked up by Thunderbird 65?

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Oct 20 10:51:54 UTC 2018

On 19-10-2018 22:26, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 10/19/2018, 2:26:59 PM, Magnus Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Yes, a warning when you try to use a profile that is too new will be
>> useful, but in a Thunderbird profile you typically have a lot of data
>> that you want to keep. Especially if you use POP, much of it is the only
>> copy available. In Firefox creating a new profile is easy, and you can
>> sync all your bookmarks etc. through Firefox sync anyway.
> I can't imagine - for a programmer (which I am not) - that it would be
> that difficult to write a script that would safely migrate just the data
> from one profile to another.

Some text files sure, though it may be tens of gigabytes.iff

But a lot of the data isn't necessarily text based. As I understand it,
differently formatted data stored in internal databases is one of the
major concerns that prompted them to create this setup.

I don't think there will be any support for downgrade migration.

  -Magnus