Extension development for TB64+, was: Extension development for beta

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Fri Nov 23 09:54:36 UTC 2018

On 23/11/2018 10:36, Eyal Rozenberg wrote:
> Aren't you contradicting the text here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_63
>
> which says that it's the restartless extensions that are likely to
> survive and the XUL overlay loader that's the short-term solution?

I don't see it as a contraction. Right now, A, B and C work. Something
is going to happen to restartless add-ons, we don't know yet. And the
XUL overlay via the TB overlay loader is a temporary measure (mostly
created for Lightning) and we don't know how long it will last. But it's
looking good so far.

> Also, and sorry for being confused, but - where is there a detailed
> explanation, or a worked example, of converting the preferences dialog
> of an extension to something that will show up in TB 63+ ?

There isn't one. TB is community based, so someone from the community
can start one. The basic recipe for type C is: Change install.rdf to
manifest.json (as has been said many times) and then fix any problems
that you find. For ThunderHTMLedit I had three problems: Tab switching
didn't work any more, assignment to innerHTML didn't work any more, one
M-C editor API was removed. I don't have a preferences dialogue - and I
know why ;-)

Jörg.