Extension development for TB64+, was: Extension development for beta

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Fri Nov 23 09:21:11 UTC 2018

Hi all,

as you all know, the following extension types are supported in TB 64
beta and TB 65 Daily:

A: restartless/bootstrapped extensions with an install.rdf manifest
(although this might go away pretty soon now)
B: WebExtensions with a manifest.json
C: "legacy" XUL extensions with overlays converted to using a
manifest.json and being loaded by TB's inbuilt overlay loader.

Types A and B can be uploaded to ATN, but there is no solution yet where
to host type C. Uploading them to ATN would make the previous version
compatible with TB 60 ESR unavailable. There's been a suggested to
upload them with a new name, so Foobar becomes FoobarBeta.

For now, I'd just like to summarise the conversion effort for type C be
starting a list of available add-ons:

ThunderHTMLedit - http://www.jorgk.com/misc/addons63/
Signature Switch - http://mozext.achimonline.de/prerelease.php (very
bottom of page)
Compact Header - http://compactheader.mozdev.org/installation.html,
currently Version 2.2.0beta3.

I've also heard on the grapevine that these are being worked on:
"ReminderFox", "Before Tabs Toolbar". Perhaps authors can share the
location of these.

As a first step I suggest to simply add a link to the description on ATN
as you can see here:
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-GB/thunderbird/addon/compactheader/

Jörg.