Featured Add-on Suggestion: QuickFolders

Axel Grude (Axel) axel.grude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:19:13 UTC 2018

I would like to nominated my Add-on QuickFolders, which is one of the highest rated
"Pure mail" Add-on on Thunderbird.

Extension Name: QuickFolders - I am the developer, took it over from Alexander Malfait
9 years ago.

It has wide consumer appeal (about 20k permanent users) and has gotten a lot of user
engagement - I am getting mails weekly / daily of my users with both praise and
suggestions  for improvement. It has been featured in c't magazine as part of the best
Thunderbird add-ons on their cover mount DVD Rom 13/2009.

As it augments navigation for users who like a folder based hierarchy (many folders) I
believe it is the most superior way of navigating / managing many emails. It's basic
premise is to stop using the folder tree for navigation and not being reliant on
filtering for finding emails. One thing that is not optimal is vertical scrolling when
dragging emails, so QuickFolders helps by using a multi-dimensional, menu-based
paradigm. On top of that the concept is very easy to grasp. It fully support drag and
drop for folders and emails, highly simplifying moving of folders and emails.

It has been since copied by Postbox and gmail (tab-based views / favorite folder bar),
but not to the extreme configurability given by QuickFolders. On top of that it
includes folder icon customization, a reading list and a quickMove / quickJump feature
(similar to Nostalgy) for keyword based navigation. There is a full support site with
email which is usually answered within the day (typically within 3 hours) and a bug
database on mozdev.org.

I have also added a number of educational videos demonstrating the functionality at on
my Thunderbird Daily YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAu5hyoyLEA&list=PLApv7QYQO9nR_ySMlAYd_wlhei-MRND89

where I also highlight some of my other Add-ons (SmartTemplate⁴, quickFilters and
QuickPasswords).

The main reason why I can dedicate so much time to the Add-on is the fact that I
started to monetize it after getting a few larger donations. Apparently people do
connect a large value to this (a few 50$ donations for a "free as in beer" Add-on
convinced me that I should take it more seriously). I am of the firm belief that only
monetization can solve the problem "long term interest" for large complex software
projects that are forced to be updated regularly. I have supported many Add-on authors
in their project and find there is a proclivity to give up if there is no monetary
gain involved.

thanks for considering my suggestion,
  Axel

Music Production and Composition