Opportunities

MJWestkamper mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Tue Nov 13 23:01:56 UTC 2018

We standardized on Thunderbird in early '06 and as such we've
accumulated dozens of accounts, thousands of folders, and overall
terabytes of e-mail and attachments.

Organizing it is now a significant task. Setting up folders, filters,
archiving and sharing is quite cumbersome and time-consuming. And of
course dispensing with the junk.

As this system evolves I would like to see a bit of added functionality
to help when the numbers get bigger. Some small add-on's can help with
the automation of setting up the folders and filters. Some has already
been done or is in process.

Dispensing with the junk is a never-ending game. Here too some AI and
clever filters can help. I suspect an add-on could be built to filter
the incoming stream, and maybe report it to a central system that would
support the clients. I can provide more specifics if there is an interest.

Archiving is something that would need to be part of the core
processes.  I believe a comprehensive method of archiving e-mail locally
and remotely along with a search tool would add significant value to
Thunderbird.

Sharing is another function that would need to be part of a core
process. All the folks here would benefit from having some folders be
public, and some shared. This can become way too complicated, but I do
believe some basic abilities here would add a lot of value to small to
medium sized organizations.

I do not have the current talent to code solutions; I wrote my last
production software in FORTRAN and before that in COBOL. I can however
write a good use case and spec. If something like this is in the cards,
and I can contribute, please let me know.

Mike

--
MJ Westkamper | WEI Inc.| 379 Middlesex Turnpike | Old Saybrook CT.
06475 | (860) 388-3038