Thunderbird 60 beta - marketing the changes / improvements

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Mar 27 13:25:39 UTC 2018

On Mon Mar 26 2018 12:44:50 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Tanstaafl
<tanstaafl at libertytrek.org> wrote:
> Wouldn't it make sense to first answer the question of whether or not 60
> will completely and totally break all Addons, as was suggested by
> Patrick here (to say this is extremely concerning to me would be an
> understatement):

Ok, while it has been established that, for now at least, 60 apparently
won't break all Addons, I'd really like to hear if anyone has pursued at
or at least given serious thought to something Philipp Kewisch mentioned
about a year ago with respect to adding our own WebExtension APIs just
for Thunderbird to make it easier (or even possible) to do the things we
want/need to be able to do.

He said it could be done relatively easily. This sounds like another
Long-Term option that should be seriously considered, and would provide
a much longer window for the long, slow gradual rewrite (which is
hopefully now settled as to the way forward).

I'm also curious why the Firefox alternatives (Waterfox, etc) haven't
taken this approach to provide an expanded set of APIs for Firefox itself.