Thunderbird 60 beta - marketing the changes / improvements

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:02:01 UTC 2018

Get Thunderbird!

for me an official position on forking m-c would make the biggest difference. Is it
still a matter of /if/ or is it just /when/?

IMHO We need to become independent to avoid arbitrary crippling changes, and I would
rather fork early than lose trust of my user base. Forking will become necessary very
soon, now that Mozilla is hell bent on burning all bridges for XPCOM/XUL.

Of course I may be completely wrong and the changes are still only minor but I see too
many posts of the type "now that overlays have gone away..." etc. on the firefox-dev
groups that I know they would love if we legacy developers would just go away silently
(well they kind of assume we have). As long as these questions aren't answered I am
still silently considering contingency measures: how difficult it would be to create a
Thunderbird Clone (probably impossible), like Alex Kontos did with Waterfox.

Axel