Thunderbird 60 beta - marketing the changes / improvements

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:12:52 UTC 2018

Thanks Jörg,

Nice one - thanks even knowing it's mid may will help. I have started writing the
video script for my ST4 maintenance release, and I decided to describe the release
cycle in a "roundabout" way, *could somebody on the list check if there are any major
mistakes re Thunderbird 60 / the rapid release strategy*? Here is what I have got, so far:

> (Intro)
> Hello this is Axel from Thunderbird Daily. This video is for the release of
> SmartTemplate version 1.5.
>
> As always, a link to the full change log is available in the low bar and can also be
> viewed by clicking on the version number in SmartTemplate Settings on the "About
> SmartTemplate" tab.
>
> (Thunderbird 60 - The Future of Legacy Add-ons)
>
> Thunderbird 60 beta has just been released and soon this will land a new ESR
> (Extended Service Release) to all users. This means as before once per year the
> version will jump from 52.8 (?) to 60.
>
> Thunderbird beta moves roughly in Parallel with the 6 weeks rapid release cycle of
> Firefox, but major features are withheld in the release branch and only security and
> critical bugfixes are included; this is also shown by the fact that only the minor
> version number is increased from 52.0 to 52.1, 52.3 and so on. In parallel, beta
> versions are moved forward through the major versions 53, 54, etc. with all changes
> included
>
> A major point is that the Firefox team removed legacy Add-ons in version 57 and is
> streamlining the code base in order to modernize it, which may break Add-ons in
> Thunderbird. As Thunderbird is sharing a big chunk of its code base with Firefox it
> is always necessary watch out for breakages and write maintenance code in order to
> keep my Add-ons from breaking in the beta releases Thunderbird 57 to 60. In
> Thunderbird, legacy Add-ons are  still fully supported, so bugs should be filed with
> the Add-on authors to alert them of problems.
>
> Usually my Thunderbird beta and Daily users help with bug reports on our add-on
> support pages; use the link to the most recent Bugzilla entries under
>
> smarttemplate4.mozdev.org/bugs.html
>
> in order to get functioning versions that work in Thunderbird beta. I also list all
> bugs I am working on in the version page prior to release; I updated all Add-ons
> support pages in real time to keep my users informed. The source code is also
> accessible on github if any developers want to help.
>
> (SmartTemplate 1.5 - The Changes)
> SmartTemplate 1.5 has these changes so that is both backward compatible with the
> current version of Thunderbird and the new one which is planned for release in the
> middle of May, possibly after the next minor release, 52.8.
>
> I was also keeping my Add-ons compatible with the new versions of Postbox 5.5, but
> they decided to discontinue Add-ons support in their beta7. If you want to keep
> using my Add-ons there, pleasee stay with the older version of Postbox 5.0.
thanks so much for your input & assistance. I still feel it's vital to keep our users
informed with regular video updates (I really need to do this more often)

regards,
   Axel

Music Production and Composition
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,