Thunderbird 60 beta - marketing the changes / improvements

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:00:37 UTC 2018

Thanks Wayne,

I updated and installed and read the release notes, planning to do do another video on
Thunderbird Daily
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCiqw9IULdRxig5e-fcPo6A?view_as=subscriber> in
regards to the next ESR. As I have to release new forward compatible versions of all
my mail Add-ons I thought I could tie it in with the release of SmartTemplate4 today,
but I don't think I have enough info to do it comprehensively, so I am putting that
off for further down the line (when is release of Tb60 planned for?)

Now, looking at:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/60.0beta/releasenotes/?locale=en-US&version=60.0&os=WINNT

I was asking myself what new features should be demoed, to show the progress in
comparison to ESR versions 52.*

not quite sure what the page above refers to, the most important changes of 60 vs 52
or changes from 59 to 60?

Ideally I would like to have a list of obvious things (like the new UI / responsive
icons design) that I would present in a 10 minute video, if possible not too technical.

I looked at this list:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?classification=Client%20Software&query_format=advanced&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&target_milestone=Thunderbird%2060.0&product=Thunderbird&resolution=FIXED

would that be the comprehensive list of changes vs. 52? Does anyone on this list have
suggestions on what to present?

Maybe /*Ryan */could also help with putting together what he thinks is important for
marketing Thunderbird for the future. I definitely want to mention that the users are
going strong (20 Million?) and that Thunderbird will be around for at least another
year - hopefully still with full Add-ons support (as opposed to Firefox and Postbox).

I also heard on Mozilla that they are working hard on re-structuring Add-on reviews
for rehosting all Add-ons under the new domain, it would be great to get a bit more
info to see how the changeover will affect our users / will Add-on updates be
seamless? How is searching for Add-ons from mozilla.org integrated with the new host
is it simply redirecting all traffic / searches for mail add-ons? How is it going to
affect SeaMonkey users - I assume they also want to stay with XUL based Add-ons as
they have a more conservative viewpoint (full theming, deep customisation etc.)? Lots
of questions here, it would be great if I had some answers to work into a video.

thanks in advance,
   Axel

Music Production and Composition
<https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/quickfolders-tabbed-folders/>,