Re: Thunderbird’s future: a modern addressbook

neandr neandr at gmx.de
Fri Mar 16 23:25:42 UTC 2018

Hi Eyal,

seems there are some misunderstanding of what I posted, I would like to
ask you to read my post again.

First I never frowned or blamed CardBook as a possible solution. As with
every other contribution it has to be allowed to discuss controversial.
And Philippe himself gave some critical notes about his solution.
Personally I think it's a good addon.

It's my understanding the project for a new TB/AB was in the discussion
like this ...

> It's intended to serve as a technical experiment for a rewrite using
> web technologies
I hope the new Council will widen it's view with that project. It should
use web technologies to replace legacy technologies (XUL etc) where ever
possible. The recent mail "[Maildev] The XUL tree widget - where is the
replacement work?" shows there is much movement required!
My point was not to point to technologies only, but to how the world
changed for UI and UX. A development for a new TB/AB has to look also
for approaches coming from other than desktop implementations to build a
modern new TB/AB.

Guenter