Donations to Thunderbird

harry harry_cube at muenchen-mail.de
Wed Mar 14 19:10:53 UTC 2018

... I did it again (donation to TB)   :-)

I do have remarks concerning the donation process, though.

In the first place, I speak here for the situation for donors to TB in
Germany - and I have some proposals as to
- encouraging donations
- make sure that the bank fees for the donations are very low

Problems:
- donations to TB are not tax-deductible (as of now, it seems that TB is
tax-deductible in US, but e.g. not in Germany)
- concerning the payment options:   as of now, there is "credit card"
and "paypal";
   also, there is "Überweisungen" (bank wire transfer), and donors are
notified that for each "Überweisung" (wire transfer), TB (or here:
Mozilla) is charged bank fees of 5 US Dolllars; TB (or rather
"SVB-Mozilla Foundation") does have a German bank account with the
"Standard Chartered Bank" in Frankfurt/Germany, though, so   I don't
quite understand the high fees for "Überweisungen"

Proposals:
- make donations to TB tax-deductible (I don't now what is needed for TB
to be tax-deductible in Germany, to cite the situation for LibreOffice:
donations to LibreOffice are tax-deductible in Germany *and* the US);
    possibly, there is an easy way for TB to reach a labelling as
"gemeinnützig", which is what is needed to be tax-deductible in Germany
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemeinn%C3%BCtzigkeit#Deutschland
- in Germany the payment option "SEPA-Lastschrift" is well known an well
established   ("Direct debit") https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_debit
       this payment option is extensively used by many organizations in
Germany that collect donations;  main reason: *the bank fees per
transfer are as low as 10 Eurocent* (less than 13 Cent US);
          (I don't know about the situation e.g. in France; probably
"SEPA- direct debit" can be used there under the same conditions)
- also, in case TB hires devs from Germany, there would be no need to
transfer the money to the U.S. and back;

Conclusion:
If the "usage by country"-chart for TB that was posted here tells the
truth, then the single largest userbase of TB is Germany - so it might
well be worth an effort to encourage donations in Germany.
So:  Get the labelling as "gemeinnützig" for TB to be tax-deductible in
Germany, and get a regular bank account for TB in Germany.... and set up
a "SEPA-Lastschriftverfahren" on the TB website.

Harry